Sunday, December 2, 2012

Boka Restaurant & Bar
1010 1st Avenue

Several years back, I ate brunch at Boka every single Sunday for about a year.  Everybody knew my name.  I've been back once or twice since but not in a while.  Until today.

I saw that they have croque madame on the menu now.  It's a nice little walk from my house so what the heck!





Food:  It was fair.  The brioche needed crunch.  The egg was cooked too long.  The presentation was sloppy and the ham was really blah plus dry.  If the croque madame at the Bastille is a 10 (which it certainly is), this is a 2.

Service:  The service was excellent with one minor flaw.  My coffee was topped off every few minutes. I had lots of good ice water.  I wanted some time to relax before eating and asked the waitress to slow down my order which she did perfectly without even a hint of fuss. I got my bill promptly and did not have to wait long at all to cash out.

The only weirdness was a pet peeve of mine...  I get that severs need and should take breaks but don't tell me about it.  This waitress, twice - once with me and once with the table next to mine - interrupted out meals to announce she was going on break.  I am not married to a server.  The relationship I want is with service. If you are going on a break, go.  Quietly.  Just make sure I have service while you are gone.  I probably won't even notice.

Everything else:  I have to say that the Boka is one of the nicest feeling places in town.  It just envelopes you in comfort and class. It feels so nice.  I love the ambiance a whole lot.  Next time I'll just order something else!




No comments:

Post a Comment