Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ma'Ono 
(formerly Spring Hill)
4437 California Avenue Southwest


This place is kind of bi-polar right now.  It has the brunch menu from its former self, Spring Hill.  But the name is now Ma'Ono and Spring Hill goes away except for Saturday and Sunday mornings.


Usually it is a nice, quiet spot for a leisurely brunch.  But, today, it was really packed and loud.  I asked the hostess what was going and and she said nothing - that it just seemed the later crowd came earlier.  This was at 10 when they first opened.


It's not nearly as nice a place to eat when it's crowded.  It turns into a busy, loud place which is the current desired restaurant vibe in these parts.  (Not desired by me but sought after, apparently, by restaurateurs.)



Food: I had 2 poached eggs over corned beef hash, with grilled bread.


As you can see, the eggs were beautifully done.  As it turns out one could have been left in the water a minute more but the other one was perfect.  The has was very interesting.  A few too many green peppers for me but quite tasty and there was not one single morsel left when I was done.  I doubt, however, I'll order it again.


Service:  It was really too busy to get excellent service.  My coffee cup lingered empty a bit longer than I prefer but not too bad.  There was a large table of 8 next to me that were fairly demanding so they got the server's attention instead of me.


Everything else:  I'm probably ready to give this place a rest for a bit and go somewhere else next Sunday.  But, it's not off the list entirely.  Not by a long shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment