Saturday, February 18, 2012


Wild Mountain Cafe
1408 Northwest 85th Street

The first few times I tried to find this place, I had a terrible time.  The sign looks significant in this picture but on the street, not so much.  Plus, they have been chewing up the street in front (and for several blocks before and after) so that it's kind of like a secret restaurant.

But, well worth the hunt.  I've been several times.  There are three things on the menu that I love and this time I decided to try something new.  Plus, I was eating with a friend, who is a vegetarian, and he had something I never would.






Food:  I had 2 eggs, over easy, with, bacon, grilled bread and their garlic potato cakes.  I dug in before I remembered to take the picture.  It was, honestly, not the best brunch I'd ever had there.  It was pretty ordinary.  The grilled bread was more like under done toast.  And the eggs were ok but the best over easy execution ever.

Their garlic potato cakes are pretty darned yummy.

My friend had the vegetarian benedict.  He declared it delicious and, I'm sure it was.  They really do good benedict.

Service:  I have had way better service than I got today.  I finally got water after having to ask twice.  My empty coffee cup begged for more for a long time before it got any.  Had I been alone, I would have had plenty of time to create G+ entries bitching about it.  But, as it was, it was honestly fine.  And I know from past experience that it is normally so much better.

Everything else:  This was the first time I'd ever had brunch there that it wasn't packed.  I didn't even peek in to the two back rooms but the three front ones had empty tables much of the time we were there.  Always before the wait queue is fairly healthy.  The construction in front could be some of the reason. It's a mess and has been going on for quite some time.

This is still one of my favorite places and it will not be the last time it's written about here.

$19 including tip (my meal only)

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving it !!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great idea that you had! Thank you so much for suggesting it. It's going to add a special extra to every brunch for me!

    ReplyDelete