Sunday, September 2, 2012

Manhattan
1419 12th Avenue


I set out to discover a restaurant two door down until I got there to find it is a vegan restaurant. I do not do vegan - especially not for breakfast.

So I wandered down the street and found a place I'd never heard of.  And except for one tiny, yet totally fatal flaw, it was a great find.

Food:  The menu had some interesting aspects but nothing scream stop the presses so I did my usual. 2 eggs over easy.. if great, come back and discover the rest of the menu.

The bacon was good.  The hashbrowns were ok.  I wish I had had toast.  I don't expect much when I do this order and this time my expectations were met.

Service:  I was the only diner in this place for the entire time I was there.  The sign says seat yourself, which I did.  After a fair amount of time seeing absolutely no one, I stood up and tried to get someone in the back to notice me.  Finally they did, with no apologies.  Must happen often.  But, the mediocre service wasn't the fatal flaw.

Everything else:  This is one of the prettiest restaurants I'd been in ever. The tables were white marble which was beautiful and soothing.  Even the food on the plate was arranged pleasingly.  The decor was rich and fun to look at and the place had a wonderful feel.

And the killer was the music.  Headbanging, heavy metal music with more bass notes than anything should ever have.  It was excruciating.  Had anyone come by to ask how I was doing I would have asked them, since I was their only customer, to at least maybe turned down the volume to one where the silverware did not rattle on the marble table tops.  But, no one asked so I paid and got my ass out of there.

If not for that horrible music, I might well have thought better about everything and would surely have tried it again.  But, now it's on my cold-day-in-hell list.


 

1 comment:

  1. That is absolutely horrible! I would never set foot in there after this experience. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete