Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Coterie Room
2137 2nd Avenue

This is another off the 100 best breakfast list and the last that made it to my short list of places to try.

It's lovely.  Elegant.  Upscale.  And very nearly too classy for brunch for one.  It's the perfect place to bring someone you want to impress.

Food:  The menu has a title - Duck Egg Brunch.  hmmmm  I had never in my life - that I remember anyway - eaten a duck egg until this morning.  There were several items on the menu that looked interesting but I finally settled on Duck Egg Benedict.

The coffee was a little too precious - but, this is Seattle.  The waitress asked if I wanted anything to drink, I said coffee, please.  In a bit she came back to tell me my coffee had been started.  And then a bit later a nice server brought me my coffee which was clearly Americano espresso but, whatever.  It was good but I would have been happy with ready to go drip.

Duck eggs are huge.  You really only need one.  The dish was absolutely delicious.  Delicate and flavorful.

I've noticed a lot of restaurants lately are not putting salt and pepper on the table.  I'm kind of impressed by that.  I'm ok with taking direction from the chef.

This morning's meal was the perfect example.  I might have reached for the salt and pepper without thinking and it would have been a mistake.


Service:  The service was pretty good.  I did not need or want more coffee which was good cause no one asked me if I did.  I did linger a bit long with an empty plate - especially considering the joint was pretty empty.  But, it was ok.

Everything else:  This was clearly a no children place and that added points right there.  I was their first diner of the morning and I was well into my meal before anyone else showed up.  The staff and the ambiance made that feel fine and welcoming anyway.  The furnishings and fixtures were all lovely.  The music was motown which was a bit weird.  It was the pefect setting for some lively classical selections.  



2 comments:

  1. Duck eggs rock! So flavorful. My friend Mo used to sell them regularly, but I don't think she's been raising them lately.

    The Benedict looks awesome, but I'd like some sliced pig in there, please.

    I'm fine with an Americano instead of brewed coffee, but since I like to drink mug after mug, I'm not pleased when they want to charge me for espresso after espresso in the process. Looks like you only paid for one cup, though. Did they give you refills?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very flavorful, indeed and your are right, it did want some meat.

    And no, I was not asked if I wanted more coffee - I didn't so I didn't mind this time but had they asked and I said yes and they had charged me for two... unhappy me!

    ReplyDelete