Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Ridgeback Cafe
500 Northwest 65th Street

I found this place also on the list from Metropolitan Magazine.  It's nestled in the middle of one of Seattle's crunchiest neighborhoods so the clientele was a lot of earthy earnest parents with firebreathing toddlers.  This was a bit of a problem but soon the music and the food (and my book) wiped the toddlers from my conscientiousness.

It's a little storefront and I found a parking space quite handily.  I actually would not have minded having to park farther away and then walked around the neighborhood a bit. It's flat and filled with interesting little houses.  Next time I will be doing just that.

Food:  When I say it is a crepe place, I give the exact wrong impression - there is nothing frufru or French about this place.  Better to say they offer a lovely selection of fascinating egg+ dishes wrapped in very thin savory pancakes.

I ordered 'The Ridgeback' and it was really outstanding.  My waitress said it was her favorite and I could sure see why.  It was a lovely combination of textures and flavors.  The potatoes that came with it were also very excellent.  It was hard to pick from the delicious sounding menu items.  They all looked good to me!

Service:  When I walked in the door, I was hit with a chalk board sign that said 'Wait to be seated'.  I waited.  I stood there practically in the middle of the dining room and began to feel like a field scarecrow.    The kitchen is exposed so everyone in the joint - staff and diners were able to see me just standing there.  I waited and waited and waited for far too long.

Finally this guy came over and jabbed a menu in my face and said, nearly rudely, 'counter or table?' I asked for a table and as he turned away from me he grunted 'well, pick one that is small'.  All they really had was small tables so I picked one.

Not a great welcome but after that the service was perfect.  My coffee was kept hot and my check came the very minute I wondered to myself  how long I would have to wait for it.

Everything else:  The toddlers were a bit of an issue, especially at first.  But then I noticed the music.  They were playing 60's AM radio tunes.  One hit wonders and standards. It was amazing and great fun to listen, too.  I found myself keeping the beat and silently (I hope) singing along.  Paul and Paula, Lipstick on Your Collar, All I have to do is Dream... it was amazing and so enjoyable!

I probably won't run back at the first opportunity, but this place is definitely on the short list of where to go for a good breakfast today.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm just lucky -- and a more considerate parent than most, perhaps. I take my toddler out to eat all of the time and she never screams, throws or drops food, anything like that. The one time I can think of her getting inconsolably cranky, I immediately signaled the server, got her to box up my food, paid, and left. I don't care to have my nice meal out ruined either.

    ReplyDelete