Sunday, March 25, 2012

Denny's
2762 4th Avenue South

There is nothing pretentious or precious about this blog, I promise.  And, for proof, today we bring you Denny's.

This Denny's is less than 2 miles from my house and has been there forever.  For a couple of years it got un-Denny's and was 4th Street Diner.  Then it went back to Denny's.

Today it was as welcoming as ever. Bright and cheery with free wifi!

Food:  The menu is always fun.  My dear departed mother used to raise her nose and declare total disapproval of any restaurant with pictures of the food on the menu.  Personally, I enjoy a nice depiction.

Today I had the Bacon Avocado Burrito.  I usually get the two eggs over easy special but I thought today was a good day for something new.   It was unusually good.  There was some kind of sauce in the burrito that was yummy.  The avocado was perfectly ripe and tasty.

It was just good.

Service:  There are at least two guys who have been working the weekend breakfast shift there since the beginning of time.  They were there when I first ate there, there when it was un-Denny'd and there today.  They are both unfailing chipper and cheery and always always act as if they have been waiting all week just to see my face.  Who can not love that.

Today I got one of those guys as my waiter.  We nearly came to blows over my coffee refills.  He insisted I needed more and I insisted I had had plenty.  It was pretty funny.  I never get the impression that he remembers me particularly, more that the wonderful way he treats me is the way he treats everyone.  And I love that.  Tip love.

Everything else:  This Denny's draws a huge variety of people - some English speaking, some not.  Some clearly able to pay, some not.  Some surrounded by laughing friends, some alone.  Some old, some young.  It's always fascinating and fun.  Today there was a toddler. I hate toddler's in restaurants. But this one was restaurant ready.   The dad was walking this guy quietly around the tables not getting into anyone's way.  It was kind of cute.  But, then, as I was leaving I saw him standing in his booth seat next to the window waving happily to people walking by.  When I got outside, he was waving to a toothless grimy homeless looking guy who was smiling from one end of town to another as he waved back.  It just totally made my day.









No comments:

Post a Comment