Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hi-Life
5425 Russell Avenue Northwest

It was only after I got home and sat down to write this that I found - when I looked up the links - that the Hi-Life is closely related to two favorite places of mine that I never get to very often.  I need to fix that.

The 5-Spot on Queen Anne just has no place to park so I always wimp out on that one but there is no reason why I have not been back to Endolyne Joe's in West Seattle in just forever and their fried chicken is worth fighting for.

But, I digress.  It was easy to find street parking for the Hi-Life - at least about 10 am  on Saturday.  It was also easy to find.

Food:  The menu wasn't particularly killer for me.  I'm always cool with 2 eggs over easy with stuff so I'm cool when nothing jumps out.  I ended up ordering corned beef hash:  "House cured brisket pan seared with potatoes & onions then topped with poached eggs. Served with fancy toast."

The eggs were poached perfectly (a biggie for me).  The has was corned beef mixed in with onions and mashed potatoes, grilled.  It was ok.  Not the best I have ever had.  But good enough  The fancy toast was not at all fancy and it could have even used some more toasting.

Service:   The service was excellent.  The cute waitress came by offering a coffee refill before I even had a cup.  I got one fast and it was never more than half empty.

Everything else:  The food was good but not either that interesting or spectacular but everything else makes this a comeback place.  When you walk in the front door there is a large dining room on the left and the bar on the right.

Off the bar there are several dining tables.  I was seated through the bar into a lovely bright room with great windows and a street view.  Warm brick walls were adored with interesting artwork.  It just screamed - come in, take a load off, relax, we're here for ya!  And while I noticed several toddlers in the other section, I quickly realized that my section was kid free.  I asked the waitress if it was considered part of the bar and that's why there were no toddlers and she confirmed that as the case... Outstanding -   a lovely room with no screamers.  Heaven.  I really will go back.

View Larger Map


No comments:

Post a Comment