Saturday, April 14, 2012

Serious Biscuit
401 Westlake Ave. N.

This is an odd place that is really wonderful.  It's really not a place at all.  It's an upscale pizza place - Serious Pie - that magically morphs into Serious Biscuit for breakfast every day.

It's in a part of town that is very near some long-term traffic stopping construction.  So while it's been on my radar for a while, I haven't made the effort because it seemed too much of a PIA.

But, my friend, Deb, said 'wanna meet at Serious Pie for breakfast on Saturday?'.  I jumped at the chance.  She got there via public transport and I got there via car and we both got screwed up by closed streets and mislabeling funky stops.  But we both agreed that it was worth the pain and now we know the trick.

Food:  The menu is short but, honestly, every single thing on it looked delicious.  They have basically two kinds of dishes - baked eggs and biscuit sandwiches.  I had the former and Deb had the latter.

First off, let me say that they have nailed the biscuit.  I am a very very very picky biscuit eater.  The best is buttery crispy delicious on the outside and golden soft and flaky on the inside.  And are perfectly delicious in every way totally naked - no butter, no jam, no honey, no nuthin.

These were the best.  Best I've had in a really long time.

I got the baked eggs - "homemade ham, egg, beecher's cheddar, apple mustard".  Quite delicious in every way.  Kind of delicate and the ham was very tasty.

Deb got the fried chicken sandwich.  It was fried chicken on top of a fried egg between two biscuit halves with gravy on top.  A pepper gravy, the menu said.

She said it was good but we agreed that it would be better with out the gravy.  That's how I will have it when I get to it on the menu in one of my many future trips.

And, yes, it does tickle me that I got the shot of Deb's while she was taking her own shot of it.  I do remember in the olden days we used to dig right in and burn our tongues.  Saved by technology.

Service:  The service was very good.  There were lots of servers coming and going so you felt like you could snag one if you needed - which we did cause my fork had hill and valley tines.  Also I got there a good bit before Deb and my coffee was refilled often without having to ask or prompt.

Everything else:  I did not spy this until really too late but their blood mary's looked amazing.  The place was comfortable and not packed and  loud without being too loud.  The staff were all young men who were just cute a buttons.  And, on the way back to my car I spied a nice looking hardware store I'd never seen before.  I went in and it was amazing!!!  I can see many trips in my future for brunch and hardware.  In fact, I might just go again tomorrow - free parking and I can try one of those amazing bloody marys!




5 comments:

  1. .
    .
    I want to go here with you on one of your future trips!

    Also, I love the outline of your hand and phone above the menu.

    Also also, I really love Deb's glass plate.
    .
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I liked that hand shadow myself.

    And, yes, you would like this place. I need to go back several more times. Pick a Saturday or Sunday (except next Sunday) and lemme know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .
    .
    Hmm . . . how about, Saturday, May 5? The end of my Birth Week!
    .
    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok! meet you there on the 5th between 10-10:15 am

    ReplyDelete
  5. .
    .
    All right then! It's on my calendar.
    .
    .

    ReplyDelete