Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cafe Presse
1117 12th Avenue

I love French food.  I love the rich taste and texture of it and the ingredients they use.  I get so weary of healthy dining options and with French restaurants, you never have to worry that the health police have been there to strip the flavor out of everything.

Cafe Presse is a tiny little French cafe.  Or Seattle version of a French cafe which is good enough for me.  It's also a newstand - magazines - and a hub for watching international sports (translation:  soccer).  And it's a great place for breakfast.

And, even though it is in a neighborhood generally devoid of available parking spaces, early on Sunday morning, you can pretty much have your pick.

Food:  The menu is not extensive but it is creative and French.  Croque Madame is one of my favorite breakfasts of all times and theirs is good - not the very best in town but a very close second.

Today, I went with something a little more simple.  Broiled eggs over ham and cheese and a side of frites.  The eggs were perfection.  The frites, not so much.  I have high standards when it comes to french fries and they go up even higher when they are called frites.  These were good but not frite-worthy.  The eggs, apparently, come with a baguette which I declined.  Next time, I'll pass on the frites instead.

Service:  When I walked in at 9, the place was not packed but there were not a whole lot of vacant tables either.  They have a counter facing the window out to the street and a bar for seating.  The woman who met me at the door asked if I wanted the counter, the bar or a table and I asked for a table.

A lot of restaurants focus on the economy of their real estate.  A single diner taking up space meant for more than one person is eating at their bottom line.

This woman did not bat an eye.  She quickly surveyed the room and said, 'if you give me a minute, I'll clean off that cool little table in the corner.'  She did and I sat at one is, without a doubt, the best table in the house,

Happily, this woman also waited on me so I could reward not only her excellent service (which was, indeed, excellent) but also her generosity with seating me.

Everything else:  Besides very good food and interesting food choices, this is a great spot for people watching and eaves dropping on great conversations.  A terrific way to start the day.









View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the broiled egg and ham dish. Is it just a layer of ham in the dish, with cheese and eggs added, then broiled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. That's it exactly. I have never broiled eggs before but I sure am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete