Saturday, April 28, 2012

Smith
332 15th Avenue East

I totally have a new favorite bunch place.  I don't even remember how Smith made its way to my List O' Places To Try.  But, am I sure glad it did.

It's an easy place to get to, especially from the pool where I go to aqua exercise every Saturday morning.  And parking is easy to find.  Plus it is just across the street from my bank and within easy walking of good groceries and other errands.

But while those may be high up on the list of reasons to like a place, they wallow at the bottom this time because the menu and the food are so spectacular.

Food:  The food starts with the menu.  It's not extensive. About 15 items. Of which about 80% sound heavenly and the other 20% sound really good.  Today, I could not get past the second item on the list.  I did promise myself a return visit no matter what today's meal was like.

I ordered Brisket & Fried Egg Sandwich with Fries                    
with hot mustard, fried green tomatoes & gruyÈre.  I'm still stuffed as I write this but it still sounds bring-it-to-me-now good!

And it sure was.  It was served on a wooden plank with the food tumbling off a perfect bun - butter toasted crispy with good texture inside.  The fried green tomato was outstanding.  The brisket was heaven.  The photo shows how perfect the egg was.  Next time I order it - which, is only going to be after I make myself try everything else - I'm going to ask them to maybe dial back the mustard a little.  It was good but there was too much of it.

The waitress asked me if I wanted breakfast potatoes instead of fries and I assured her that I wanted fries.  And anywhere else they would have been excellent but they turned out to be overshadowed here.  Good but it would have been a great meal without.

I cannot wait to try the other menu items.  Oh and as has become habit, the guy at the table next to me ordered a bloody mary which looked delicious.  Next time.
Service:  The service was excellent.  My coffee mug was kept full and hot.  My food came quickly.  My waitress was there when I needed her and  not when I didn't.  Perfect.

Everything else:  The place is really kind of funky.  Dead, stuffed animal heads on the walls which does not offend me but I suspect does a lot of Seattlites.  I sat in the front next to a window which I realized after I'd been there for a while was actually a garage door. I'll bed they have that open in nice weather.  Nice.




No comments:

Post a Comment