Sunday, June 17, 2012

C J's Eatery
2619 1st Ave N.


Note to me:  Father's Day now equals Mother's Day brunch wise speaking.  I remember now that last year I was surprised at the crowds on Father's Day.

I thought there might be a bit of a bump this year so I headed out early.  Not early enough and the bump is now insurmountable.  Next year, it will be brunch at me casa - I'm not even going to try to fight the masses.

Today I headed out for one spot who turned me away like so much pond scum - how dare I even think I could eat there??!!! So I was on the way to another place when I spied CJ's.  I hadn't eaten there in years.

When I first moved to town, it was owned by my neighbors across the hall and was  AJ's.  Several years later after some mysterious happenings, A, my neighbor, left and his employees stayed and renamed it CJs.  It's stayed open all these years.  The last time I was there, I was underwhelmed.  And history repeated itself today.

Food:  The menu is a lot of spicy sausage options which didn't appeal.  I ordered the Chelsea Fritata which wasn't horrible but just mediocre and boring.

However, the hash browns were excellent and the toast was outstanding.


Service:  My service was excellent.  The host, when seating me and bringing me coffee and water, said that because they were so busy, my server might a bit longer getting to me that he would like.  But she wasn't at all.  She was prompt and cheery and a pleasure.

Everything else:  The place was packed.  To the gills.  With people lined up waiting to get in the whole time I was there.  (I got there about 9 which is an hour really before prime brunch time. I had to wait but less than 5 minutes.)  It is one of the noisy places I've ever been in and even so, you could hear a child shrieking over the din.  It was not even close to relaxing and enjoyable.  I cannot figure out how/why it has lasted all these years.  There are lots of other options nearby.  It's not cheap.  I'm stumped.


No comments:

Post a Comment