Sunday, June 3, 2012

Volterra
5411 Ballard Avenue Northwest


Now I have yet another new favorite brunch place!!

I recently found this place via a new Google map/places feature on G+.  I was testing it out and bam, up pops a brunch place I'd never heard of that looked very interesting.

So, today I went to see just how interesting.

Food:  The menu is one of those with many attractions.   More than half of the selections looked like things I'd be very interested in trying.  (Adn will have to go back now!)

I had the Bacon, Provolone Avocado and Green Onion Scramble.  And it was beyond delicious.

It was delicate and flavorful an pretty and ohhhhh sooo good.  Plus it came with Volterra hash browns which should be called Best Hash Browns ever.  They were perfectly crispy on the top and the bottom and perfectly light and fluffy in the middle.

And...  OTHER RESTAURANTS TAKE NOTE...  Particularly those of you who toss foil wrapped butter on top of the toast on my plate.  Wrong on various levels.  This is how you serve toast and butter.  The bread was beautifully toasted, kept warm by the napkin crib and the butter was delightfully spreadable.

Service:  My coffee stayed topped off - in fact at one point the coffee guy pretty much over filled it but no biggie.  My food came quickly, when I finished my plate was promptly removed and the bill came without my having to ask for it.  Just good.

Everything else:  This joint is delightful.  From the old timey tiled floors to the giant windows with the great views to the comfortable tables.  Parking is a challenge even on Sunday morning but I like that it opens at 9 and getting there just then works out the parking problem fairly easily.

But all of it - the great food, the lovely service, the wonderful place was nearly ruined by a screeching toddler brought by two oblivious parents.  There is a front room with a bar where no kids are allowed but this screecher was so loud I could hear him on the freakin' street after I left, walked down the block and doubled back to go to my car.

A child you can hear for more than 30 minutes from outside the building should NOT, I repeat NOT be in a restaurant.  To the restaurant's credit, they did not provide a high chair - this should have been a clue but clearly this kids parents wouldn't know a clue if it came labeled in 72 point type.

I did get the impression from the restaurant staff that this was an unusual occurrence.  I'll try again but this was so bad that if when I go back again,  a repeat will make that visit my last.



No comments:

Post a Comment