Sunday, July 15, 2012

Book Bindery
198 Nickerson Street

This is the best of places and the worst of places...  I think if you look up pretentious in the dictionary, this restaurant will be listed as an example.

I had never been here before and had only recently even heard of it.  I read  on some blog somewhere that they were now serving Sunday brunch so on the list it went and today was its turn.

Food:  The menu is imagination in print.  It's actually pretty amazing.  No two over easy here!!  It is one of the few places in Seattle that actually has steak tartare on the menu.  But my love of the croque madame had me order up the sliders.  They were as adorable as they were delicious.  The ham was perfection.

As I finished up the cute little sliders, I realized I would never be coming back an so if I ever wanted to try their tartare, today would be it and I was not full so I ordered it for dessert.

It was pretty and tasty and a nice, rare (pun intended) treat.

Service:  I never saw the bottom of my coffee cup thanks to the guy who came often with the pot.  My waiter was available and quick and as pretentious as the rest of the place.

Everything else:  Its a beautiful place - beautiful setting, surrounded by a waterway, green green grass, mature shrubbery and flora manicured within an inch of its life.  The inside is also stunning.

And even though I was seated in a far dark corner (with zero cellphone reception - I did test over by the window before I left and the reception there was fine), it was still a lovely setting and a lovely room.

But for the first time in a very long time, I got the clear and distinct feeling I was not welcome.  I don't know if it was because I didn't have a reservation (there were only enough diners to fill up a third of the seating) or because I was alone or because I was a woman or because... who the hell knows but it was very clear from the hostess to the waiter and everybody except my friend, the coffee guy, that they would really rather I dine elsewhere next time.  Nothing specific.  Nothing I could take to court but I got the message.

At these prices, I'm not sad.  It was a nice brunch and I don't need to go back.



No comments:

Post a Comment