Saturday, May 19, 2012

Skillet Diner
1400 E Union


The Skillet started life in an airstream trailer.  It was one of the first non-taco truck food trucks in Seattle.  I found it early on and was, for a while at least, addicted.  Great burgers, superb fresh cut fries and fried chicken that is so good it's hard to believe.

The diner has been open now for a while and is now a popular, established, grown up restaurant that is open nearly 24 hours a day.

This morning there was a bit of a wait but it was worth it.

Food:  There were several things on the menu that looked tempting but the cute waiter sold me on the scramble of the day - fried chicken, cheese, peppers and onions.

It was good. It was not great.  In retrospect, I would have done better with the pork belly or even the little rob.


There really wasn't enough fried left in the chicken to make the dish kick.  But it was still pretty good.  The scramble sat attop an amazing piece of thick toast.  It was buttery with no butter and crisp on the outside and warm and soft on the inside.  Very good.

The salad was good - not what I was in the mood for but I still ate a few bites and it was nice and fresh and kissed with a tiny bit of some kind of very interesting dressing.

Service:  The waiter was perfect.  Cute and snappy.  He kept my coffee full and was back many times to make sure I was fine and dandy.

Everything Else:  The first time I ever ate at the diner, I sat at the bar.  There is often a line for a table but open seats at the bar.  The barstools have backs on them and are quite nice but they have no rail to rest your feet on, nor does the bar have a rail.  So, after dangling my feet and having the backs of my thighs cut by the chair edge - I lose all feeling below the knee.  And my meal becomes something to get to the end of instead of something to enjoy.  So I vowed to never sit there again until they fix it.  They haven't and I haven't but I do mention it every time I go in.  Maybe one day...

2 comments:

  1. I've sat at the bar a few times while waiting for a table. I agree with you completely about the seating problems there.

    I haven't been there for brunch yet but I've enjoyed both of the dinners I had there.

    nomad

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gratifying to know I'm not the only one with the bar seating issue!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete